GOASCNA Public Relations Report

ASC Date: 11/11/2018
Meeting Date: 10/26/2018 7:00 PM

Public Relations Subcommittee meeting 10/26/2018 minutes

Opening Prayer/12 Traditions/12 Concepts

Attendance:  Cindy C, Liz B, Terri S, Gordon S, Sarah K, Mark B, Dennisse R, Ahmed F

Ongoing Projects and Contacts:

  1. Sherriff’s Department follow-up is bi-monthly via email by Mark B to make sure there is a good supply of our cards in police politics
  2. QR Code Readers in multiple locations – Contact information for each facility is recorded for continued contact to maintain relationships
  3. Presentation forthcoming with UCF Campus Police Department, because of appointment of new Chief of Police after finding a satisfactory schedule that works for both
  4. Relationship with Director of Orange County Drug Free Coalition (Carol Burkett) ongoing. Will try and attend monthly meetings of the OCDFC.
  5. Seminole County Re-entry Program continues to be attended monthly (First Wednesday of the Month)
  6. Full Sail relationship continues to be pursued for work on PSA’s –  Cindy C was approached from the radio industry to allow airtime for and NA PSA.
  7. Orange County Sheriff may offer assistance in creating PSA’s
  8. Our next target is to reach out to Osceola and Seminole Police Departments

Old Business:                                                                                                                                                                   

  1. None

New Business:

  1. Orlando Colon is the new Chief of Police for the city of Orlando. A meeting will be set up for PR to meet with Captain Arthur Eld, Drug Enforcement Division for the City of Orlando Police Department.
  2. PR attended a community led Health & Wellness. PR will contact Orange County to get with the DARE program. An attendee asked if we had any literature in Creole, but there are not enough members of NA that speak that language, therefore, we do not have any.
  3. Mary Ann contacted the libraries in Orange County and sent, via email, the status of

NA literature on the shelves.

  1. An Osceola high school student wanted to start an NA meeting at their school. Cindy C and Liz B will allow parents to contact them for more information.
  2. Dennisse R was acting Liaison for the Helpline Committee. She reported that all calls are getting answered. It was the general consensus to have the PR and Helpline Committees combine. Positions needed would be two Coordinators from Helpline, Contact person for all volunteers as well as keeping the 12 Step Call list for males and females.
  3. It was suggested that one Coordinator at least, and the Helpline carriers come for a minimum of 2-4 times a year.
  4. The November PR Meeting will begin at 6 pm for a Helpline orientation.
  5. Terri S reported that as per the vote at the WSC, the first week of June will be designated as Public Relations week. World will suggest various ideas for each Region/Area. There is also a contest to come up with a PR related slogan for PR week.

Our next meeting is scheduled for November 30, 2018 @ 6pm at 150 E. Michigan St. Orlando, FL

Meeting closed