GOASCNA Chair Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-08-13 13:30:00

Welcome to all new and returning Greater Orlando Area Members! We're glad you're here. Keep coming back, we need you!

There are open Admin and alternate positions, subcommittees without chairs and/or vice-chairs, and numerous other open service positions waiting to be filled, so please consider the fourth concept when nominating people for those positions. Please reflect on your own service experience as a guide. In the past we have elected members who were willing to serve, but unfortunately were unable to successfully fulfill the duties of the position. Sometimes it is better to leave a position open for the soon to be arriving member who can best serve our Area rather than simply fill that position in hast. Thankfully, we have an awesome Area with many enthusiastic and qualified members!

Our status with Englewood is that our fee was waived and we will only pay the insurance for the 6 months and owe $159.75. Again thanks to Mark and Pete in helping make this possible. I truly appreciate it

Many of us have been blessed with busy and active lives in this process of recovery. Recent Area business has been completed in about 5 hours. Here are some helpful reminders:

· Please keep comments concise and to the point;

· Try not to repeat something you’ve already heard;

· Subcommittee and Admin reports should be informative and brief; and

· It is important that we carefully consider all viewpoints in our decision making processes. Part of sharing is the sharing of time. PLEASE be considerate and refrain from sharing for excessively long periods of time so that everyone who wants to participate has the opportunity to do so.

In Loving Service, Terri, G.O.A.S.C.N.A. Chair


GOASCNA Activities Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-07-17 18:30:00

Members Present: 6

Location: Aspire Men's Facility, Rio Grande

Opened the meeting with a moment of silence followed by the Serenity Prayer.  The 12 Traditions and Concepts were read.

General Report

Events under construction:

Elections

None

Concerns or Needs

Budget meeting was proposed.  Gloria, Anthony, Ahmed and Mercedes will compose this ad-hoc.

Upcoming Events

In Loving Service,
Anthony G,Chair

GOASCNA Agenda Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-08-13 15:30:00

Call to Order (1:30)

€       Roll Call

€       Recognition of new Groups/GSR’s

Admin Reports:

€       Chair

€       Treasurer                                         

€       Secretary                                          

€       Literature Chair

€       Parliamentarian

€       RCM

Subcommittee’s Reports:

€       Webpage

€       H&I

€       Helpline                                            

€       PR 

€       Activities                                                        

€       Unidos

€       COU

 

Break – 15 minutes

Open Floor

 

Group Reports

 

Old Business

 

Nominations and Elections

 

New Business

 


GOASCNA Hospitals and Institutions Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-07-21 19:00:00

Members Present: 17

Location: St. Stephen's Lurtheran Church

Opened the meeting with a moment of silence followed by the Serenity Prayer.  The 12 Traditions and H&I purpose were read.

General Report

Last month at our subcommittee, we were able to smoothly transition our administrative body over very smoothly, with potentially all positions filled! We discussed with our body the proposed ad-hoc potential policy changes, and our new location starting at United Against Poverty coming up this month in August. We have no issues with our facilities. 

Elections

Joey P. as literature distributor, Larry for panel coordinator II. 

Concerns or Needs

We still have a small number of people who have clearance for facilities that may require it, such as our correctional facilities that needs meetings just as much as the next addict. Having a record does not automatically disqualify you from gaining clearance, however, simply not applying is a no!

Upcoming Events

None

In Loving Service,
Nikki R., Chair

GOASCNA Literature Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-08-13 09:32:00

Literature Report 

August 2017 ASC
When Orders were placed: 07/11/2017
Literature for July 2017 subtotal: $966.53
Discount at 6%: $56.14
Shipping Cost: $33.77
Total: $944.16
 
ILS, Miranda W
Alt Literature Distributor 

GOASCNA Public Relations Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-07-28 19:00:00

 

 

Public Relations Subcommittee

GOASCNA Subcommittee Report

(Date)  July 28, 2017           

 

Meeting: July 28, 2017 7PM          (Date & Time) Location: 150 E. Michigan Street     

 

Opened the meeting with a moment of silence followed by the Serenity Prayer. The 12 Traditions were read.

 

Members Present: 14 (Number of members present)

 

GENERAL REPORT:

v  Sherriff’s Department has distributed Power Point training to all officers as of July 24.

v  Helpline and Website business cards were distributed to 1500 Patrol cars (all six sectors of the County Thursday July 27

o   Cards in all patrol cars

o   Alerted helpline to possible increase in phone calls

§  Helpline is fully staffed with volunteers, not less than 10 people available for each phone line shift

o   Asked HL chair to have the phone carriers request from callers where they found the helpline number; record information to submit to the PR committee to be used in future presentations

v  Pull Tab Action Plan

o   All members were directed to read chapter 4 in the PR Handbook before any pull tab presentations are given

o   Practice presentations to be given during upcoming subcommittee meetings

o   Jeff M. will be the Pull Tab Project Coordinator and will retain all data related to pull tab presentations.

o   In the future home group orientations for pull tab presentation projects will be available

v  Literature Rack for Englewood Community Center – Action Plan?

o   The 8 pamphlet rack will be held off until ASC facilitator reports to ASC about the contract with the Englewood Center

New Business

v  Follow up with Orange County Sherriff

o   Member to check in weekly with the Orange County Sherriff for additional cards or other needs

o   Additional law enforcement agencies will be contacted in the near future to request presentations with goal of helpline card distribution

v  Presentation

o   PowerPoint presentation will be distributed with minutes for member to practice and present at upcoming subcommittee meetings for critique

o   Pairs of members to present at next month’s committee meeting

o   Mark B. to revise Sheriff's presentation for other organizations in order to get the subcommittee prepared for future projects

v  Pete and Mark to follow up with initial meeting at Full Sail University to discuss PSA production

v  QR Code discussed for possible use in venues that will not require restocking or weekly attention; Justin P. and Mark B. will coordinate information for next subcommittee meeting

v  Committee to review PR Handbook (chapter 4) for future PR meetings – Specific topic  for each meeting brought by committee members or chosen by chair

v  Create general script for pull tab, QR and other brief community presentations so new members can practice required information and methods. August subcommittee meeting will require choosing knowledgeable script writers for this project

ELECTIONS:

v  Committee unanimously agreed to nominate Cindy C. for Vice Chair of the subcommittee at the August ASC

v  Subcommittee unanimously elected Liz B. as the secretary of the subcommittee ( We thank Jeff M. for fulfilling the secretary position up to date)

v  Subcommittee unanimously elected Monica E. as the alternate secretary of the subcommittee

SPECIFIC CONCERNS OR NEEDS:

 

None

 

UPCOMING EVENTS: None

 

 

In loving service,

 

 Pete C.           Chair

Pete C

PR Vice Chair


GOASCNA RCM Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-08-13 09:32:00

General Report

July 2017 RCM Report for the August 13, 2017 ASC

 

Greetings to all! We hope that you are all enjoying your recovery.

This report is for the Regional Service Conference weekend held July 14-16, 2017

At the Rosen Shingle Creek, 9939 Universal Blvd, Orlando, FL  32819

Next Regional Service Conference Weekend is September 15-17, 2017

At the Rosen Centre, 9840 International Drive, Orlando, FL 407-996-9840

The Greater Orlando Area will be the host Area for September 2017’s RSC weekend.  We would like to encourage you to continue participating and supporting the Florida Regional Service Committee.

 You can find RSC minutes at the following link: http://naflorida.org/groups/rsc-minutes/

There will be a Speaker Meeting during this next RSC at the Rosen Centre on Saturday, September 16th beginning at 8:00pm coordinated by your RCM Team ►Self-Parking at the Rosen Centre is $5.

July 2017 FRSC Report:

 

1.    During the Area Support Meeting the topics brought up and discussed were: Social Media (as it pertains to pictures & videos taken during conventions inside the speaker meetings). Church staff reaching out to a Treatment Center (whose clients attend the NA meeting) and informing them their clients are not welcome at the facility due to their insurance guidelines. Palm Coast Area Digitizing Old Speaker Tapes (inquired about possible copyright infringement if uploading onto their website).

2.    An issue that surfaced during Area Support is that the Treatment Workgroup hadn’t been staffed by HRP. The trusted servant gave a report and although she had one or two others assisting they were unable to complete their assigned task due to lack of proper staffing.  The Corrections Workgroup is staffed and gave their report. We learned that it took 6 months to coordinate the calls made to prisons during FRCNA. This workgroup is an excellent resource in our Region. The Mentorship Workgroup is now staffed and will give a report at September’s RSC.

3.    There were two round table discussions: HRP Guide and PR Presentation.

4.    The Guide to Florida Regional Service is currently being updated with housekeeping items and is currently in draft format with track changes on the Florida Regional website. This Guide is to be viewed, discussed, etc., as we move towards the approval process in September.

5.    At RSC there were 15 Areas present out of 20.

6.    The Regional Website has been experiencing some issues. Bids are being sought to re-do the website. I was asked to coordinate communication between our Webpage team and the Florida Region’s IT Coordinator. The RSC Admin Workgroup considers this a high priority and will continue to seek quotes to ensure website efficacy.

7.    Elections took place and most service positions were filled. A trip to the Region’s bank is planned to remove signers and add new signers, as needed.

8.    The treasurer reported a closing balance of $23,036.83 with $8,000 set aside for Prudent Reserve and $6,500 to NAWS. The GSR assembly is fully funded for $10,850. The Bank statements for May 2017 & June 2017 balanced to the penny.

9.    Our Regional Service Office is doing well financially. They continue to have new customers. They offer a new medallion that is a custom order. You can view all products available by visiting www.floridarso.org. Currently they report the need for additional space. They have 3 years left of the 10 year lease and are talking to the landlord about more space. They reported they also print meeting lists and these can be mailed along with the literature order.

10. FRC, Inc. gave their report. Overall the majority of feedback for FRCNA 36 was positive. They are aware that mistakes were made and welcome any input/questions/concerns at info@frcna.com

For specific details on the mistakes, FRCNA 35 to FRCNA 36 # comparisons and much more please see the Regional minutes. A more comprehensive final report is due at November’s RSC. Now the work has already begun for FRCNA 37 “The Courage To Change”. Please visit www.frcna.com for more info. The location is Hilton Tampa Downtown; 211 North Tampa Street, 813.204.3000. Room rate is $125. You can reserve rooms by going to www.frcna.com/venue They are looking for pre-convention and convention logo artwork.

PROPOSALS:

02-01-17/03-05-17/Modified 5-21-17, Proposal: To have the administrative workgroup schedule and coordinate the selection of a hotel for FRSC Weekends with the Florida Regional Convention of NA.

Outcome: Consensus reached/unanimous

04-05-17 Maker Uncoast Area, Proposal: Reimburse the Uncoast Area for additional Room Nights at the FSS in the amount of $420.

Outcome: Blocked

06-05-17 Maker HRP, Proposal: To allow the Treasurer to withhold from NAWS any funds approved by the RSC. (To bring the guide in line to what we are asking the Treasurer team to do).

Outcome: Passed/unanimous

NEW PROPOSALS:

01-07-17 Maker Big Bend Area, Proposal: Asking Florida Region to reimburse the Area for 1 hotel night per RSC meeting starting in September for one year. (Please see minutes for all of the verbiage).

Outcome: Consensus reached/Unanimous

02-07-17 Maker HR, Proposal: Tie RSC stipend to Standard IRS rates.

Rationale: The IRS sets maximum rates for travel. The rate adjusts each calendar year. The 2017 rate is $189 per day, which includes the hotel, taxes, tolls, and mileage. The 2016 rate was $185. Although mileage rates have gone down, room rates are $30-$50 more per night that they were when the $150 stipend was set. Increasing the stipend has come up several times on the floor, but no proposal has been made to date.

Financial Impact: For the rest of 2017, this would increase the stipend $39, up to from $150. The current fixed rate of $150 in no longer adequate to cover room and travel for one day. Tying the stipend to the IRS rate allows adjustments without having to change the GTFRS each year.

GTFRS: Each member of the Administration Workgroup and Resource Coordinators shall receive a stipend of one day at the Standard IRS rate.

Outcome: There was a test for consensus/ Tabled to September RSC.

Greater Orlando Area Vote/Outcome:                                                              

 

03-07-17 Maker: Secretary, Proposal: The region to pay one time additional expense to ship literature to Bermuda.

Intent: To further carry the message to the recovering addict.

Spiritual Impact: Keeping in line with Regional efforts to support the areas we represent.

Financial Impact: Est cost $152.00 not to exceed $160.00

GTFRS: No change to guide "One time event”.

Outcome: Consensus Reached.

Open Positions at the Florida Region:

Alternate Secretary and Alternate Treasurer

Southeast Zonal Forum Meeting was in July 2017. Our newly elected AD was going to attend along with the outgoing RD because our current RD was unable to attend. We look forward to hearing about their experience at our next RSC. For additional information regarding the Southeast Zonal Forum you may visit www.sezf.org 

 

NAWS NEWS:

NAWS Web Meetings Link: www.na.org/webinar

Public Relations and H&I Web Meetings to take place in September 2017. Any member may join; simply provide your name and email address to either pr@na.org or handi@na.org.

Concerns or Needs

It would be awesome if more of the Greater Orlando Area NA members attended the RSC Weekends since the RSC is often held here in our Area.

Upcoming Events

FRCNA 37 Registration is currently $40.

FRCNA Support Committee Members needed: October 8th, December 3rd, February 4th, April 1st, and June 3rd from 10:00am to 12:00pm at the Hilton Tampa Downtown.

In Loving Service,
Dennisse R. and Mercedes I.

GOASCNA Unidos en Recuperacian Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-08-06 09:32:00
Members Present: 5 Location: Prince of Peace church 1515 South Semoran Boulevard Orlando Florida 32807 Opened the meeting with a moment of silence followed by the Serenity Prayer. The 12 Traditions and 12 Concepts were read. General Report: The committee was informed of the actions of this body for the last 2 months. Denying our proposal. The committee has decided to proceed with a convention for 2017. We already have our next 4 fundraisers are in place. They will be at Prince of Peace church the first and third Sundays of the month of September and October. Flyers are going around. The convention hotel and the dates are in place although a few more detail are being worked out. Special discount Pre-registration will be available at the events . We should be allowed the food sales here at area for September, October & November since Unity has had them for the last 3 months. I am very familiar with the account format at Wells Fargo having been the treasurer on a previous convention. The account was set up to be a free checking account with a monthly transfer from the checking to the savings and then that transfer was to return to the checking account automatically a few days later, in order to waive any service fees. We are being charged service fees and request this be addressed immediately. That was all squared away when I got signed into the account in April and all the service fees previously charged had been refunded to us. The bank has been deducting $14 per month. Perhaps this should be a concern if it is happening to the other GOASCNA accounts Wells Fargo. This morning I called Wells Fargo and got the $14 reversed for a total of $56 back into our account. They claim to have sent a notice in the March statement which we do not get. Advising that this would take place as of April. Since we do not get the statements we did not know this was going to happen. We should be on a simple business checking account and the bank representative was going to ensure that it was corrected since that is the way it was supposed to be in April. Also we are requesting the food sales fundraising here at area 4 September October and November as celebration of unity has had it the last several months. We were not planning akan 2017 convention and now we are. Originally it was suggested we trade on and off. I will also be requesting the tax-exempt status document for the hotel. Elections: we still have open positions like registration, merchandise,convention information and Arts & Graphics Concerns or Needs: is that each and every GSR keep a color flyer and ask people to either take pictures or take a black and white copy to share and announce Upcoming Events: fundraisers September 3rd and September 17th at Prince of Peace church see Flyers In Loving Service, Suzanne

GOASCNA Webpage Report

ASC Date: 2017-08-13
Meeting Date: 2017-07-17 18:30:00

Members Present: 4                

Location: Panera Bread, 296 E Michigan St, Orlando, FL 32806

General Report:

Recited Serenity Prayer, then read the 4th concept. Read minutes from previous meeting.

2017 Budget

Total Budget: $499.74

Expenses: CleanTalk Anti-Spam Plugin - $20

Remaining Balance: $479.74

Elections

None

Concerns or Needs

None

Upcoming Events

Next subcommittee meeting: 8/14/2016 @ 6:30 PM

Panera Bread - 296 E Michigan St, Orlando, FL 32806

In Loving Service,

Seth K

Webpage Secretary